Posted on October 29, 2014
The onOne team extends a warm welcome to our newest member, Matt Kloskowski. Matt has been at Kelby Media Group, a leader in photography education, for the last 10 years. He worked as the Director of Education and Training and has been teaching Adobe® Photoshop® and Lightroom® worldwide. Matt brings a ton of industry experience as author of over 20 books on photography and Adobe Photoshop. His compositing book was awarded by Amazon as “Top 10 Best Books of 2011” in the Art + Photography category.
“I’ve been a huge fan of onOne for years now. They’ve become a very key step in my photo workflow. So, when I heard their roadmap for photography, I was thrilled at the chance to join the team and help be a part of their future.”
He’s also worked as editor of Lightroom Magazine, taught at Photoshop World, WPPI, Photoplus, and other conferences around the world.
We are excited to have Matt at onOne. So, say hello to Matt and welcome him to the onOne Team!
Connect with Matt:
Today, we officially announce the release of Perfect Photo Suite 9, an updated version to our photo editing and effects app for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.
If you preordered Perfect Photo Suite 9, you should have received your download and license number yesterday. If you haven’t seen your email, contact us and we can send you the necessary info.
Included in the new release are many significant performance and feature improvements, all designed to help you streamline your photo-editing tasks, so you can spend more time shooting and less time processing your photos.
Among the key enhancements in Perfect Photo Suite 9 are:
- An overhauled Browse module, which adds lightning-fast previews of RAW files; new rating, ranking and keyword tools; and sophisticated filtering capabilities. These features are designed to help you cull and sort through photos quickly after a shoot, without having to wait for previews to be generated. You can then edit your photos using the Suite, or can easily send them to a secondary photo tool like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom or Apple Aperture — with metadata and keywords intact.
- A new Smart Photo feature, which lets you re-edit your photos — with previous settings intact — after saving and closing them. All of your editing steps are saved with a Smart Photo, so you can make subtle (or major) changes to a photo at a later date. And Smart Photos use the standard Photoshop file format, so you are assured of maximum compatibility.
- To help you create better selections, all the masking and selection tools have been improved and integrated throughout the Suite’s modules. And, Perfect Layers and Perfect Mask have been combined into a single module, streamlining the process of compositing photos.
- We’ve also added a new Quick Mask brush: run it over an area that you want to select (or remove), and a detailed mask is automatically created. This is perfect for replacing backgrounds or adding a custom look to part of your photo.
- You asked for it, we added it: noise reduction is now part of the Suite. Reduce noise in your photos while maintaining important details. You can even selectively apply noise reduction to different parts of a photo, such as the shadows or highlights.
- A new Lens Flare filter in Perfect Effects lets you get that popular “shot into the sun” look and add flares ranging from subtle to bold.
- Faster processing; the Suite is now up to 2x faster than Suite 8 in many instances.
There are many more new features and enhancements found in Perfect Photo Suite 9, including Retina display support; an improved automatic tone algorithm, for quickly making your photos bright and clear; better crop and level tools; an enhanced Perfect Brush, updated to work on soft edges and semi-transparent objects; printing capabilities; better batch rename options; and much more.
About the Suite
Perfect Photo Suite is a full-featured photo editor that works either as a plug-in editor to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom and Aperture, or as a standalone app. Regardless of your workflow, the Suite provides all the necessary tools for editing your photos, improving portraits, adding popular looks in color or black and white, resizing for large-format printing, and making complex selections with minimal effort.
Our open system allows access to your photos no matter where they are stored: your computer, your network, or on cloud-based storage services. We support all of the key online storage services, including Dropbox, iCloud Photo Stream, Google Drive, and Microsoft’s OneDrive.
Availability and pricing
Perfect Photo Suite 9 is available in two versions: Premium and Basic. The Premium edition supports Photoshop CC, CC 2014, and CS6; Lightroom 5 and 4; Photoshop Elements 13, 12 and 11; and Apple Aperture 3, and has an introductory price of $139.95. The Basic edition, which does not have plug-in support, is $79.95. Owners of earlier versions of the Perfect Photo Suite can upgrade to Premium for just $99.95.
To find out more about Perfect Photo Suite 9, and to see new videos, how-to articles, and sit in on live classes, visit Suite 9 Central.
Posted on October 27, 2014
We’ve been developing (and using) masking tools for a long time. Some of you may remember Mask Pro, which was a plug-in for Adobe® Photoshop® and more recently, Perfect Mask. Perfect Mask was basically a modern version of Mask Pro. Both tools were great for creating complex masks (hair, smoke, or clouds), but the technology was dated.
With fewer photographers using Photoshop and sticking with programs like Adobe Lightroom®, it made sense for us to rethink masking and make it easier for photographers. The traditional way of masking with those tools felt old and tired. It wasn’t how we think of masking as photographers today. The timing was right to develop new technologies and means for creating great masks.
Masking is a technique or technology we use to solve many problems. Rarely is creating a mask the end goal of masking. You use masking to combine images and exposures, swap heads, replace skies and add effects to portions of a photo. In the past, to get a great mask you would go to a dedicated module (Perfect Mask), then take the resulting layer and mask into another module like Perfect Layers or Perfect Effects to finish the job. It was too complicated.
In Perfect Photo Suite 9, we wanted to give you ability to create great masks where you need them, inside of the tools where you utilize them. We took the best tools from Perfect Mask, improved them, and added them to Perfect Layers and Perfect Effects. Now you can adjust your background layers while masking in Perfect Layers. You can also selectively apply effects in Perfect Effects with more precision than ever before. You no longer need to do all your masking in one place and then send yours masks to the next module.
Posted on October 24, 2014
The view of water cascading over Panther Creek Falls in Washington is something to behold. It’s well worth the scramble to the base of the falls. On a sleepy Sunday morning, you’ll have the whole place to yourself. Enjoy this episode of Perfect Inspiration by onOne friend, Scott Davenport.
To watch the video in high resolution, open the video, click on the gear and select 720p.
Posted on October 17, 2014
As we gear up for PhotoPlus in New York City, we are excited to be sponsoring an event with our friends Ken Kaminesky and Elia Locardi – the 2014 PPE Photo walk.
So what do ya say? Let’s take a photo walk around one of the greatest cities in the world with some of the best travel photographers in the world. Did we mention those who register will be entered into a drawing for some great prizes? Hope to see you there.